No.1 Kirkgate was built around 1450 as an alms house for the poor. Despite the building’s grade II listed status, the interior has been modified several times in recent years, leading to an ad-hoc series of spaces with several layers of internal finishes.
The brief was to create an interior for a new restaurant, which led to stripping out internal partitions and finishes, to create open dining spaces on the ground floor and new mezzanine level. This revealed many original features and finishes, including the fireplace, which has been left exposed. The defunct floor beams were re-used as fixed seating.